Saturday, March 19, 2011

So this has been March…

Wow!!!!!

Can March be any crazier then it already has been. Since there is no better place to start then the beginning than that is where I shall begin.

So on Tuesday March 1st, Lisa, my parents, and I had the good fortune to get tickets to see Les Misérables at the Hippodrome theater in downtown Baltimore. Despite the criticism I received about driving (looking at you mom) it was such an amazing time.



Les Misérables has been my absolute favorite play since I was 16 years old. I was hooked when my dad was watching PBS and their 10th anniversary concert from the Royal Albert Hall in London England. I remember I really enjoyed the song “Do you hear the people Sing?” Well enjoying that song led to me watching the show whenever it was on PBS. That Christmas I went out and bought the performance as a gift my father on the good old VHS tape that I know I put more miles on then he did. I ended up buying the two disc CD when I found it and can recite the entire show for you if you ask nicely. I have read Victor Hugo’s book for Les Misérables, and saw the movie staring Liam Nielson on opening night when it was released in 1998. In 2000, I went to see the play the performance in downtown Baltimore (I can not find a date or what venue but I did see the show). I just downloaded the book for my Kindle to read it again at some point in the future and just yesterday I recorded on my DVR the 25th Anniversary of the show that PBS has been airing recently.

(Deen van Meer, Handout photo/November 23, 2010)


As you can imagine I am not very critical of the performance. The Baltimore Sun did a review of the show, “HERE”, that I thought was a pretty accurate account of what I saw. I also thought Andrew Varela (Javert), and Betsy Morgan (Fantine) gave the best performance of the night. Andrew Varela nailed “Javert Suicide” and there were some really cool special effects that went with it. As I knew walking into the show I was going to enjoy it and I was not disappointed.

So if that wasn’t enough on Wednesday March 2nd, Lisa and I went to Philadelphia to see Bon Jovi…. again.

Actually I was not looking forward to this show as much as I normally do. Part of the problem is we have seen him in concert a lot in the last few years. But to no surprise at all Bon Jovi put on an amazing show. They went on stage around 8:30pm and finished up around 11:30pm.
The Playlist for March 2, 2011
JUST OLDER
BAD NAME
BORN TO BE MY BABY
WE WEREN’T BORN TO FOLLOW
LOST HIGHWAY
WHEN WE WERE BEAUTIFUL
IT’S MY LIFE
RUNAWAY
THE MORE THINGS CHANGE
WE GOT IT GOING ON
BAD MEDICINE W/ HOT LEGS (ROD STEWART COVER)
LAY YOUR HANDS ON ME
WHAT DO YOU GOT?
DIAMOND RING
I’LL BE THERE FOR YOU
LOVE FOR SALE
SQUEEZEBOX
WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T GO HOME
SLEEP WHEN I'M DEAD
NO APOLOGIES
HAVE NICE DAY
KEEP THE FAITH
--encore performance #1--
IN THESE ARMS
WANTED
I LOVE THIS TOWN
SATURDAY NIGHT
PRAYER
--encore performance #2--
BLOOD ON BLOOD


Due to running out of time and my shift being over be prepared for more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment